Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Driving

My husband and I have a marriage-long conversation going about my driving.  You see, our auto insurance rep's career depends on me.  Thanks to the law in NC, every one of my accidents (usually nicely spaced one to three years apart) has stayed on my license for a really long time.  This means that my insurance rates remain higher for a really long time.  I'm just kind to the State Farm man and his family like that.

However, my husband feels it is not very kind to him.  Let's see, it all started in 2000 when I ran into the back of an Isuzu Trooper.  Do you know that a Trooper's back bumper is $1000 to replace?  Of course the front end of my little Chevy Cavalier cost quite a bit more...  Oh, no injuries.   This particular accident was quickly followed by a complete totaling of the little Cavalier (not to nice to the Geo involved, either).  Zippo on the injury list.

Then I got the Saturn.  Love, love, loved my Saturn.  Never mind the car I bumped getting on the interstate.  Never mind what I was applying to my face at the time...  The dealership was very kind, and hey, no injuries.  It was a medical transport vehicle that I tapped, but I'm pretty sure they were only transporting oxygen, not a heart, or a liver, or something really important like that.

Then I managed not to run into anyone for a really, really long time.

Until...



Yep, that's the end of my mini van.  I just can't even tell you the story because the police involved were so kind (gracious, merciful, understanding and just plain nice) and I don't want them to question their judgment.  But, again no injuries and now I have a small, but very heavy, HIGH safety-rated SUV.  Which brings me to my point:

My Handsome Husband thinks I would be safer with the children driving a large vehicle.  Like Ford Excursion size.



Or maybe a Suburban.



Or an Army issue Humvee.  My Dear Dad suggested it be bright yellow so my potential targets could see me coming.  Camouflage just might not be fair.



I'm a little worried about my ability to judge space based on past experience.  I think you must see where I'm coming from...  However, my Handsome Husband assures me that when you drive something big, you don't run into things, you run OVER them and that may be better for preserving life.  I think he must be thinking of the children, though, because he keeps urging me to take out a life insurance policy.

Now that we have our third child and I have my "?" business that requires lots of transportation, I am about won over to the large vehicle concept.  However, if I'm going to be driving something large enough to pull a house, I feel it needs style, class and a little bling.  Something that says "a beautiful capable woman is driving this car" or maybe "hot mama".  Something comfortable for running over curbs and small farm buildings.  Something a bit more like this...



Oh, and just for the record, I've actually been in two other moving vehicle incidents that weren't my fault at all.  However, the drivers at fault have been very glad to have me involved.  I am a very understanding victim, I know proper accident procedure, and I am fairly good at guessing how much the whole mess is going to cost someone.  It's a talent.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I praise God for all the angels He has assigned to you and the children. I know your Very Understanding Husband has his own angels but I'm pretty sure he doesn't let you drive when he's in the car. By the way, please don't take it as your personal challenge to be in the Guiness World Book of Records. Can't wait to see your new, big yet stylish vehice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing with a good dose of praise for how God has kept you and others safe through your many adventures on the road! lol! I'm not so sure if it's all entirely your fault though, I'm beginning to see the roads around here are a bit confusing...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this has been a challenge for you for quite sometime. Maybe after the big yet stylish vehicle(and I agree with you dad about the bright colors)you can look into getting your very own chauffuer. After all, with your ever growing, sucessful business it might be a possibility!

    ReplyDelete